Tuesday, August 2, 2011

“We can do no great things, only small things with great love”
--Mother Teresa
Baby Bear, The Journey Begins

In the summer of 1983, I was thinking of adopting a dog. I read about Hero, who was recovering from serious wounds from defending his owner from an attack. I applied to adopt Hero. It was a lazy summer afternoon, and after the interview I took a detour through Washington Square Park where I spotted a big, black furry dog tied to a big old tree. He looked forlorn. A torn cardboard sign around his neck, said: owner died, please take dog. As natural as breathing I approached this dog and untied the rope. Our eyes met and I fell in love. I thought of Hero; maybe I could adopt both dogs! But when I called, Hero was already adopted. At home, Baby Bear just plopped down on the floor letting out a deep sigh. It took a while for us to connect. We spent long hours lying together. Sweet boy, Baby Bear, this sadness will pass; you are home, safe, and I’m your new friend, I would whisper. I prayed he would open up to me; and I waited. Then one day as if out of nowhere, I looked at Baby Bear and his eyes lit up--following me around the room and his whole demeanor seemed to glow-- it felt like a miracle. He looked at me and not through me for the first time.
After five years, Baby Bear’s health declined and he left me and this world for his next journey.
During our relationship, we encountered numerous friends, both canine and human in the world of dog rescue. I learned lessons about how to rehabilitate and re-home dogs who had been through the mill of neglect and abuse.  Sweet Baby Bear--the first of many canine friends gracing me with lessons of patience, faith and most of all Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment